Thursday, November 6, 2008

Results from my PATs appointment

Hey everybody,

I am a little behind in my postings and promise to try to catch up over the next couple of days.

Well, my PATs (Pre-Admission Testing) appointment was November 4th and I passed with flying colours! Everything went really well, all my blood work came back good, my blood gases(ouch, that one hurt)were good, the Dr. that does the clearances said that other than my weight, I was a healthy guy. I have really high hopes that once I get things under control I will be able to stave off some of those things I have been fearing(eg. heart disease, diabetes, etc.) So we are officially a go for Nov. 19th.

On another note, I posted the chicken marsala recipe the other day and finally got a chance to try it, and here is my review of it...

Chicken Marsala Review

The seasoning that you coat the chicken with adds a nice flavour to otherwise bland poultry, my only suggestion would be to "pound" the chicken a little to flatten it out so it is not too thick, I think this would have added to the flavour a little as some pieces did not seem very well seasoned, but upon further inspection, they were just really thick pieces of the breast meat. Pounding the chicken to flaten it out a little would have definately overcome this.
The Marsala sauce is quite nice with no alcohol taste at all, I added a little lemon juice that I sqeezed from a fresh one I had lying around in the kitchen and I think it added a nice little zip to it. I did not thicken the sauce as stated in the recipe that you can, and I think if I make this recipe again I will do that so it is not quite as runny.
My only negative critique of the dish is that, because it simmers in the sauce for a while, the coating becomes rather mushy which I did not care for, texture wise.
All in all it was a good meal, low in calories and fat(I used Becel butter flavour spray instead of pam to coat the pan while cooking) and good tasting. I would give this a 3.5 out of 5 stars for flavour and a 4 out of 5 stars for ease of preparation.

'till next time,

Wayne

2 comments:

PeP said...

What was involved with the PAT testing? I am currently doing the same surgery. Been reading your notes. Congrats. Were you required to have the sleep machine in order to have the bypass? I'm from Windsor. Just returned from Barix this morning.

Wayne MacLean said...

The PATs are just a routine run through that the surgeon makes you go through, with me he wanted me to have a sleep study, he told me this at my original consult, and then I needed my CPAP machine because I do have sleep apnea. I did not need my CPAP machine for my PATs appointment but do require it for my surgery day. You can email me for more info if you would like, my email is wmaclean@gmail.com