Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's So Chilly I think I'll Make Chili

BRRRRRRRRR! It's cold here today, the perfect day to make chili! Here is what I did, trying my best to keep it low fat(but still good tasting:)

Ingredients

1lb xtra lean turkey
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoe sauce
1 can beans in tomatoe sauce
1 can mixed beans(chile style-heinz)
1 medium onion
1 green pepper
1 can mushrooms
2 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp tex mex seasoning(or sub 2more tbsp chili powder)
1tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
couple splashes of worcheshire sauce
couple splashes ofhot sauce
pinch of cayenne pepper

First I started browning the turkey meat and chopped the green pepper and onion then added it to the pan until soft and meat brown.
Meanwhile I added the canned items to the crock pot that I had set up and added all the spices and flavourings to it. Once the meat mixture is done, in the pot it goes, couple of stirs to mix, set crock pot to high and away we go.
I plan on leaving it until about 6pm so six hours.

This is a great pre surgery meal, not too sure about post surgery, you may want to find a low sugar tomatoe sauce, I used heinz reg. sauce in this recipe.

Hope you enjoy, I know I will!

No comments: