Tuesday, October 21, 2008

CPAP

So I have been using this CPAP machine for a couple weeks now and I have to tell you, I don't feel one bit different yet. I have so far logged 116 hours on it and I wake in the morning feeling just as drained as when I went to bed. I realize they say it can take up to a month to start to feel better but my oh my is this thing getting old fast.
I have talked with many people who "can't live without" theirs and I wish it was the same for me. I find my nose is clogged a lot and am on claritan and a nasal spray to help with that, I hope soon it will resolve itself. It is just a really uncomfortable, unatural thing to wear and getting used to it is frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I am committed to it, and will continue to sleep with it on I just wish it would get a little easier.

For those that are not aware, a CPAP or continuous positive airway pressure machine is something used to treat a condition called sleep apnea. Sleep apnea affects thousands of people on a nightly basis and can be corrected and/or controlled using the CPAP and a few good health regimines. My sleep apnea is considered moderate to heavy moderate because I stop breathing 72 times per hour while in REM sleep state. Some people I have been in contact with stop breathing as many as 120 times per hour. It makes it kind of hard to get a good nights sleep when you are constantly waking up, rolling over, gasping for breath, just trying to get yourself breathing again. If you are overweight, snore, don't feel well rested when you wake in the morning, you may be a candidate to get checked out. The testing for it isn't any fun(requires an overnight stay) but the help you recieve could just change your life.

For me, I will stick with my machine and hopefully start seeing a difference soon in my wakefullness, heck I haven't slept well in a decade anyway, what's a few more weeks?

Wayne

No comments: