Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Sad Day Indeed

Hello all,

It is a sad day for me here. I received a call from my good friend Mark last night because I haven't been on any discussion boards in a while and he had some bad news for me. A woman I didn't know very well, although I did get the opportunity and pleasure of meeting her at our London Luncheon back in January(see older posts to know what I am referring to)Well, there is no easy way to say it, she passed away, they are not sure exactly why yet as an autopsy is being conducted to find the root cause. What we do know is that on Wednesday of last week she had her Gastric Bypass and on Sunday her husband found her in their hotel room after she had passed on.

It's not that I knew her extremely well, or that we even chatted all that often. There were some emails between us, back and forth after my surgery, like many readers, she had questions and I did my best to answer them for her. It was through this unseemly important relationship that I developed a deep respect for her, without even realizing it until it was too late and she was gone. It is a sad thing to lose someone we love and my heart truly goes out to her husband and two sons.

There will be a lot of rumors surrounding her death, but know this, Sheila(AKA Rusty) was making the decision that she honestly thought was in her best interest and in the interest of making her a healthy new woman. In my emails to and from Sheila we discussed the fear that accompanies this kind of procedure and the fact that we can never know what the unknown will bring. All surgeries have risk, even in this day and age when it is becoming more and more common and the surgical skills of the medical professionals has never been better, we must remember that sometimes our bodies just won't respond well and we can have sometimes serious complications.

I wholeheartedly wish that this had never happened and that Sheila(Rusty) was pulling a bad prank that we would all be mad at her for, I would much rather that than the alternative of reality.

I hope that given time, this family will be able to find some peace. Sheila/Rusty was an inspirational woman and gave everyone hope with her kindness and great positive attitude.

She was the first person I have personally know to pass away from possible complications of this surgery, I count my blessings every day, but now more than ever.

Thank you all for reading and please, even if you did not know this wonderful woman, say a small prayer for her family or wish them well in your own way.

Wayne

No comments: